What do you think about this sword?

Home Forums Crafting Arts What do you think about this sword?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ikeda Yasu 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ikeda Yasu
    Keymaster

Sword hamon

This is a sword that’s on display at the Springfield museums.  The hamon (its temper line) is very artistic, so I asked some experts about it.  While this sword is not battle-worth, since the hamon is a bit too deep (hard metal is more brittle).

The name of the hamon is likely sudareba, but without papers, it would be tough to narrow down a smith.

Cecelia
    Participant

Seems like the sword must have been a rich gift, and I love the swirl pattern.  Would be fun to embroider!

Do you know anything more about the history of the sword?  did it belong to a family, for example, and did it pass through any hands before falling to the museum?

Ikeda Yasu
    Keymaster

I don’t know too much about this particular sword, but I do know that aesthetic hamon like this were not made until about the Edo period. They would have been fairly useless in battle. It’s possible that it could have been used as a display/ceremonial sword, but it seems like it’s newer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.